Gov. Ron DeSantis announced Friday that he will lower the coronavirus vaccine eligibility age to 50 starting Monday.
The Republican governor, speaking at a news conference in Tallahassee, said that Florida has seen “relatively modest” demand for the vaccine in recent days. He reiterated that vaccinations would likely be expanded to all Floridians 16 and older before May 1.
With this announcement, Florida is making shots available to those who are:
- Long-term care facility residents and staff;
- People aged 50 and older;
- Frontline health care workers;
- Sworn law enforcement, K-12 school employees and firefighters aged 50 or older;
- People who are “extremely vulnerable” to the virus who have a state form signed by a physician.